Monday 5 July 2010

A James Herbert Moment

James Herbert's Rats novels are not my favourite horror stories, but they do hit the spot. I was reminded of that this morning on my way into work.

I always go for a half hour's walk after parking my car for a bit of exercise. I get in quite early so I can secure one of the few free parking spaces still left near Blackburn town centre.

I was walking up the top part of King Street when, ahead of me, two council workmen pulled out one of those large double-sized wheelie bins from an alleyway across from a frozen food supermarket. And at least half a dozen rats suddenly streamed out after it and ran across the road. Two headed towards a man on the other side who had to lift one foot to let them past. The look on his face was priceless. A couple of the rats then u-turned and headed back to the alley. I've never seen anything like it. They had huge ears and were grey. I was glad I was still about ten feet away when this happened - and was relieved when I'd passed the alley and no more appeared - or returned. I don't know where the rest of them went.



No comments:

Post a Comment