Thursday 6 January 2011

First Day Back At Work

Today's my first day back at work after a bout of flu, even though my wife said I should stay off a bit longer till I'm fully okay.

Sometimes, though, I feel that you start to get better that bit quicker when you try and get back to normalacy again. I'll see if this theory holds by how I feel tonight when I get back home!

I've done no writing since the flu started, but I have done quite a bit of reading, including Simon Scarrow's The Legion and a good bit of H. P. Lovecraft's Arkham House collection from the 60s, The Dunwich Horror. It's decades since I last read most of these tales, and it was a bit of a revelation to reread them again, especially The Colour Out of Space. In fact, rereading this particular story made me wonder at times whether I had ever even read it at all! Fabulous tale, and even better than I remembered. I have just reached the final pages of the title story, which is an outstanding tale that could make you question why anyone even bothers to try and copy his mythos stories. Like most movie sequels, they're doomed to failure.

Talking of which, I watched a DVD of Iron Man 2 last night. I remember enjoying this when I saw it at the cinema last year, but how it pales on the small screen. Not a patch on the first movie. Robert Downie Jnr was still the best thing in it, but the story sags in the middle and Mickey Rourke is underused.

No comments:

Post a Comment