Thursday 2 January 2014

Sherlock

Still the best ever Holmes
The Daily Telegraph has asked: Is Benedict Cumberbatch the greatest ever Holmes?

A stupid question really, which anyone who has watched more than a few intepretations of the character would be able to answer No straight away. 

The only way I can enjoy Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock is by pretending that he is a completely different character to the Holmes created by Conan Doyle and that he just happens to share the same name - which I don't think is far from the truth. 

The best Holmes interpretation relating to Doyle's original creation must, of course, be Jeremy Brett. I doubt if anyone will ever outdo him, certainly in my lifetime. I do admit that, as a quirky genius criminal investigator, Cumberbatch's Sherlock is outstanding - even if I personally feel that much of what we get in the stories is too self indulgent a lot of the time and far too daft at others. It's a comedy, on a par with Robert Downey Jnr's equally self indulgent, equally daft films. 

No comments:

Post a Comment